- The lovely orchids lady who gave my daughter a gift of her own ‘starter’ orchid. Orchids are supposed to live forever, so the plant and child should have a happy life together.
- Doreen Lawrence, mother of murdered Stephen Lawrence (died 1993), was named a Baroness and made a Labour Party peer in Britain’s House of Lords. As a result of her efforts to get her son’s killers brought to justice, the Macpherson Inquiry established in 1999 that the Metropolitan Police was ‘institutionally racist. Ms. Lawrence also founded the Stephen Lawrence Charitable Trust and sits on panels within the Home Office. In May 2011, following a cold case review, it was announced that two of the original suspects, Gary Dobson and David Norris, were to stand trial for Stephen’s murder. In January 2012, both Dobson and Norris were found guilty of murder and were ordered to spend a minimum of 15 years in prison.
- Downtown Kingston, for still being a vibrant heart of the capital, even in its dilapidated state.
- Racial profiling of black police officer: NYPD’s highest ranking black officer, Chief Douglas Zeigler, 60, head of the Community Affairs Bureau, was in his NYPD-issued vehicle near a fire hydrant when two white plainclothes cops approached on May 2 and ordered him out of his vehicle. Zeigler has headed the Community Affairs Bureau since January 2006.His wife, Neldra Zeigler, is NYPD deputy commissioner for equal employment opportunity.
- Spate of shootings in Jamaica on Emancipation Day (Thursday, August 1) [Read ‘Free to do what?]
Police officers involved in the fatal shooting of a man along Sutherland Avenue, Kingston 10, Thursday. Since ordered by Commissioner to be withdrawn from front line duty
In Denham Town, west Kingston, gang rivalries resulted in the apparent accidental shooting death of an 11-y-o girl on Thursday. A curfew has been imposed in sections of that area from Friday night.
The week had included gunmen shooting and killing a man at the altar of a church in Bull Bay, St Andrew, injuring one child and traumatising many others in the process on June 29.
- Pride of place goes to Ariel Castro, who received a life sentence plus 1000 years for his kidnapping of three women in Ohio, between 2002-4, and keeping them locked up in his house for 11 years. His claims of the women living a happy life with him must go down as a seemingly vile contortion of reality.